We recently made our pre-budget submission to the Government of British Columbia as the province plans its spending for 2022.
Budget submissions are a powerful tool in our advocacy toolbox, allowing us to influence the allocation of government dollars to support older adults and caregivers in key areas in line with our policy book, VOICES: A Roadmap to an Age-Inclusive Canada.
Our submission makes comprehensive recommendations to advance the rights and well-being of older British Columbians, including:
- Elder abuse prevention
- Improved health care
- Better funding and access for vaccines to protect older adults from seasonal flu, shingles and pneumonia
- Disaster planning and temperature controls in long-term care homes
- Better staffing in long-term care
- Increased home care supports for aging in place
- Financial supports to offset COVID-19-related costs for people 60+
- Protections for pensioners
- Age-friendly workplaces